Job title: Visitor Information Counsellor
Location: MacEwan School House, Hwy 2 North in Nanton
Number of jobs: 2
Dates of jobs: June 7 – August 29, 2021 (job 1 full time, 35 hours per week)
and May 22 – September 19, 2021 (job 2 part time, 15 hours per week)
Hourly rate: $16.50
General responsibilities include:
- Provide travel information, answer questions about amenities and attractions in the area, and to showcase and promote Nanton as a tourist destination; and
- To oversee an interactive “photo and video opp” staging area within the VIC (Visitor Information Centre) that captures travelers’ (and residents’) stories.*
*the second responsibility may require some off-site but within Nanton visits to businesses and individuals to capture stories with the following key purposes:
-contribute to Nanton’s move toward digitally capturing the town’s stories, including those traveling to and through it
-leverage the digital “tell us your story” activity and the content being recorded for historical purposes and social media engagement and promotion.
Specific tasks include:
- Briefing oneself on Nanton and the area, and be well versed in order to communicate its history, amenities and attractions;
- Ensure an appropriate selection and supply of brochures or other promotional and travel information;
- Keep the VIC space clean, tidy and presentable;
- Track visitor numbers and enquiries;
- Oversee digital/tech operations for recording of photo opps and video recording of stories;
- Know whom or where to contact to find out information and/or answer questions if required;
- Be available to work with Town of Nanton and Chamber of Commerce representatives for potential off-site or mobile tourism activities as required;
- Greet anyone coming into the VIC in a friendly, welcoming, and informative manner; and
- Any other tasks related to Chamber of Commerce promotions and marketing.
Qualifications and skills required:
Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
Interest and ability to work well with others;
Interest in promoting Nanton and its businesses and other amenities;
Individuals with a travel or tourism background or experience preferred;
Digital skills including operation of recording equipment for capturing stories and re-posting on social media and archiving for future reference; and
Experience with social media platforms.
Submit cover letter (including DOB) and resume as soon as possible to:
The positions will be posted until filled.
Please indicate in your cover letter which job you are applying for.